Makes 8 servings
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Olive oil
- 4 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 2 pounds English peas, shelled
- 1 pound snap peas, trimmed and sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar (champagne or white wine)
- 1 bunch chives, finely chopped
- 1 bunch mint, finely chopped
Pour a little olive oil into a large pan placed over medium heat. Add in the sliced shallots and lemon zest and cook for 3–4 minutes, until lightly browned. Add in the shelled peas and snap peas, a large pinch of salt, some fresh pepper and cook for 3 minutes more. Set aside.
In the bottom of a large salad bowl pour 1⁄4 cup olive oil. Whisk in the vinegar, a pinch of salt, some freshly ground black pepper and stir until well combined.
When you are ready to serve, add the peas and herbs to the salad bowl and toss to combine well. This is excellent served with olive bread.
Note: If your picnic is more than an hour away, then reserve the vinaigrette and add it to the peas and other ingredients just before serving.