This recipe appeared in our Spring 2012 issue in the article The Fisherman’s Market.
Makes 8 servings
For the crab
- 16 crab claws
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
Place the crab claws in a steamer filled with boiling water. Steam for 15–18 minutes depending on the size.
Place some newspaper on a counter or table. Remove the claws from the steamer and place on the newspaper. Lay each claw flat on the paper. Using a mallet and a dishcloth to hold the claw, firmly crack open the shell and extricate the meat. Set aside on a plate. Repeat with the remaining claws.
For the fennel salad
- 2 whole fennel bulbs, cut in half lengthwise and very thinly sliced
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 small green apple, cored and very thinly sliced
Place all the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and toss with the vinaigrette. Serve as soon as the salad is tossed.
For the vinaigrette
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or champagne vinegar
- 1 avocado, peeled and the meat scooped out
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
Pour the olive oil into a small bowl and whisk in the vinegar. Add in the avocado meat and mash together with a fork. Add in the lemon juice, salt and pepper and whisk with the fork until well combined.
Place a spoonful of the fennel salad and avocado vinaigrette in the center of each plate, and then place the crab meat on top. Add a little coarse sea salt and pepper, a sprinkling of freshly chopped chives, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and serve immediately.